Advantages of Linear framework:-
• Quick development – There is little planning or consideration of the various Quality Attributes when creating Linear scripts. As the scripts are created by recording, it does not require much effort.
• Doesn’t need through knowledge of the tool – Test automation typically requires through knowledge of the automation tool features and languages supported. One should also be aware of how the tool interacts with the application under test. The use of Record and Playback in the creation of Linear scripts dynamically creates code that replicates actions performed in the application.
• Script Independence – The scripts are independent of each other.
Disadvantages of Linear framework:-
• Issues in Playback – As the linear framework rely heavily on Record and playback, the recorded scripts do not playback properly for various reasons.
• Duplicity of work – Linear framework proceeds on individual scripts, thus reuse feature is not used in it. If some scripts require same action to be performed, it would again be recorded in the test.
• Scripts are difficult to read – As the script is auto generated, it has no comments and thus makes it difficult to read and interpret.